Monday, May 19, 2008

Can we have a dose of humble pie, please?

A special shout out to my readers in FRANCE!


I've touched on this subject earlier but for those of you who are new or haven't been here lately, I'd like to revisit one of my pet peeves about the Olympic media business.

Those of you who think they are the story---instead of writing about the story.

Thankfully, those folks are few and far between. But they're out there---and they're coming to a IBC or other media kiosk near you this summer in Beijing. I've met a bunch of people who's heart is as huge as the help they give a newcomer. Kind people, of which I have stayed in touch with. Several are even local to me here in Atlanta.

The others: who do they think they are?

Last summer in Guatemala City, someone came up to me to ask about that fateful day in Moscow. I am so over it, I've moved on and am busy with the opportunities that day springboarded to me. But it's still a big deal to some folks. I was kind to the person in question, but I said I was much more interested in talking about what I was doing at that time, versus what happened (at the time) six years ago.

I was humbled back then and am still to this day. But some folks would write about doing a c*** on a golden toilet if they had the chance. And expounding on it too.

This summer is going to present many opportunities for breakthrough writing, scoops (if one is so motivated) and education. Let's not get caught up in our own dramas and remember who we are writing for.

Besides, it's not all about you. And if you don't believe that, you got into this business for the wrong reasons.

Open minds, open hearts.

Let's make it our mantra this summer, no matter if we are in Beijing or the US.

Let's set the good example-for all of us.