Friday, March 20, 2009

Obama's so-called gaffe-not really

As I thought, most everyone is getting all worked up about President Obama's remark on the Jay Leno show last night. If you weren't watching, Barack was discussing his bowling game and Jay asked how he was doing. The President replied "I bowled a 120 the last time-kind of like the Special Olympics."

Are we that ahem, so offended that our Commander in Chief is forced to backtrack and issue an apology? I would think most adults who are up at that hour and watch Jay would understand the context of the President's remarks. There was a woman on our local news being interviewed who said she had an autistic son who participated in Special Olympics and even she understood that it was a joke and it wasn't intended to be mean or vicious.

One of my best friends is disabled. 100% blind. I tell her she sometimes sees better than I do. She's the kind of person you can have a drink and a good joke with and no one gets their feathers ruffled. She once told me that if "she took offense at every little thing, that would be no way to live. It's the non-disabled community that needs to get over it!"

She's right-and it seems most of the howls are from those folks. I can't even believe some people are making such an issue of this over what was a program on at an adult hour, targeted towards adults. In other words, the family hour was over long ago. I watched the show and didn't find a bit of offense in it at all. Jay is pretty tame-compared to what you might see on HBO and even Letterman can get a bit risque at times.

And of course people are trying to link this non-incident to Chicago's bid. Let's review folks: Chicago out in the first round of voting. And it will have nothing to do with Obama or Jay Leno.

Now you will have to excuse me-while I spaz out on my 18% March Madness bracket.