Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On the ropes

Funny when you catch someone not telling the truth how they hem and haw and backtrack. Such was the case with my visit to the Chicago 2016 booth. I spoke with a young lady who will remain anonymous and I told her of my so-far unsatisfactory dealings with them. I said I had one simple question: why doesn't their head of PR (in fact anyone at their organisation) ever return emails?

After a few shifts of the feet, she said that there "had to have been some kind of mistake" and I stopped her right there-there had been no mistake, "especially after I sent you people six or seven emails with no response." I also proceeded to tell her of the story of a friend of mine who didn't start to get his emails returned until a friend of his joined the bid.

She stammered that you didn't have to have a friend on the bid committee to get a response and my parting comments were that I "thought it was extremely rude and that (I) was not impressed."

Left in the dust: one 2016 rep wondering what had hit her.

In all my years on the Olympic scene, I have never even run into such a disorganised, rude, thoughtless group of people as Chicago 2016. May their bid sink without a trace in October-which is exactly what they deserve.

Because you can't treat the written press like dirt-and not expect to suffer the consequences of your actions.

In this case, defeat in Copenhagen come October.