Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Not another Munich

I get the creeps when I think of another Olympics possibly being held in Munich. What I think is really disgraceful is Jacques Rogge's enthusiasm for the current Munich Winter Games bid, with nary an acknowledgement of what happened the last time the Olympics were held there.

I have heard that the security concerns are much less at a Winter versus Summer games. One, less athletes. That equates to less of everything: officials, volunteers, and paid employees. And I have heard people say "it couldn't happen again-especially at a Winter Games."

The complacency bothers me---big time.

Sometimes I have to wonder where people's heads are at. It's clear priorities are all out of whack, all around. The German NOC, the people backing the Munich bid, and the IOC. It's a slap in the face to those who lost their loved ones...and another attempt to sweep the unanswered questions under the rug-again.

I have only one question: how can the German NOC sleep at night, knowing what happened the last time?

Answers, please.