Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday's Random Thoughts

The end of another week. Finally! I am ready to hit the road in about three weeks-and it can't come soon enough. Please keep the NIU students in your thoughts this week.




I love that Verizon Wireless commercial where the waitress says "More coffee princess?" to the burly trucker with the pink glitter phone. But what would be the male equivalent of the same phone?

Can my fellow Olympic writers say bobsled instead of bobsleigh? Santa drives a sleigh-and goes a lot faster than the sleds!

What is it with the recent spate of crimes against college students? Just the other night, several AIA students here had to jump out of a 4th-floor window when a gunman broke into their room and demanded cash. I am an AIA grad and when I attended, we had a secure dorm out in the suburbs who's front door was locked at 10PM every night. I was a dorm attendant and that was one of my responsibilities when I worked the 2nd shift after class.

I don't like Bill Maher's new "corporate" look on his HBO show. Say it isn't so that you sold out to the HBO suits, Bill!

Men: are you having to ask for the SI Swimsuit Issue behind the counter?

Eight cities have applied for the 2011 IOC Session. One of the cities listed is Hong Kong. God forbid we go there.

Sympathies to my friends over at Mizuno that had to withdraw as a Tokyo 2016 sponsor (due to the fact of supplying uniforms for the IOC in 2008.) The IOC ruled it a conflict of interest. I fail to see the connection, but I guess rules have to be followed. (And it took the IOC this long to figure it out?!?)

I keep hearing rumors we're ripe and ready for another IOC scandal. Perhaps during the summer. We're due for another one.

Kinko's has the worst service of any office-supply retailer ever. They never have enough employees. The UPS Store is much better.

I just closed on a piece of property this week. The title company refused to send the documents by USPS. Claimed it "was company policy." My policy says I don't have all day to wait around for DHL to show up which is what the title company wanted me to do. I said no way. And ended up sending the documents back by USPS myself (and filing for a refund of the postage with the company in question.) They ended up emailing the docs to me. Whatever happened to doing what the customer wants done?



Back on Monday-if you have the President's Day off, make it a good one!