Thursday, February 21, 2008

Singapore snags it

Good job to the Lion City!

The IOC finally did something right. Although I am not too keen on a Youth Olympic Games, I would have to say the winning bid by Singapore is a great start. It just might make me change my mind.

I've been there. It's a long trek from the USA, but well worth it. I've always wanted to go back. There is no doubt that the younger athletes will have a good time, win lots of medals and take home memories to last a lifetime.

Singapore has been handed a great opportunity. It just might work out and a Youth Games can peacefully co-exist with it's big brother.

The vote was close, only 9 votes separated Moscow from Singapore. Everyone is encouraging Moscow to bid again. Either city would have been fine with me, but with the Sochi Games so close, I just couldn't see a 2nd Olympics being awarded to the same country.

Well done all around. It's a great start, as as one Singapore official has said, "the real work now begins."

We'll be watching.