Monday, November 5, 2007

Don't pat yourself on the back---yet

From the way the folks up in Chicago are thinking (and talking), you'd think they have it in the bag for 2016.

Not so fast, I say.

It takes two to tango. You...and the votes of those all-important IOC members.

I am just not convinced. My gut feeling is that in Copehangen, we will see the fastest flameout since NYC's bid. What I don't understand is the other writers who are so quick to be the enablers, patting Chicago on the back for the great boxing championships, for the quick resolution on the Romanian boxers who shoplifted several hundred dollars of goods from Nordie's, and for the overall organisation of their bid.

Slow it down, please.

We've still got a bit more time before the IOC sesssion in October, 2009. A lot (and I do mean, a LOT) can happen between now and then. Those who are so quick to praise Chicago in my opinion are actually doing their bid a disservice because I can almost guarantee that between now and October 2009 when the IOC Session will be held, that there will be some kind of major scandal from someone, somewhere, sometime. It might not involve Chi-town, but you can be sure someone is gonna get it---and good.

We're not going to have another Olympic Games in the USA for quite some time. We better get used to it.

And that can be attributed to some of our own doing---and words.