Monday, January 14, 2008

E-mail hijinks-and guess where it came from

I had a very strage email come in over the weekend. It was a usenet posting I made about six years ago, and the response was a bunch of gobbledygook that didn't make any sense. I pulled the full headers, and traced the NNTP Posting host: right to mainland China.

Clearly, someone was looking for something. It was a post I had made regarding a death-penalty case here in the United States. The posting wasn't anything recent. So clearly someone had the assignment to go looking for something. And whoever did this had to be pretty desparate to dig up something I wrote six years ago in a non-Olympic related newsgroup.

I filed a complaint with the hosting company. If you have ever had a spam problem, trying to get the Chinese and far east spams nuked is next to impossible, many times due to the language barrier. But this email was diferent. It wasn't a spam and it was clearly intended for me. It will be interesting to see how the complaint goes. It's made me more vigilant.

It always pays to be one step ahead. I certainly didn't fall for it and whoever was behind it would do well to stop wasting my time and focus on something productive.

Like their own problems over there, of which there are many.

Got it?