Monday, January 7, 2008

What next?

If there is one thing I have learned, anything can happen during an Olympic year. I certainly wouldn't put anything past anyone. The closer it gets, the higher the stakes. Money, reputations and sport glory are all on the line. Just when you think you've seen it all, something else comes up to make you scratch your head and say "whaaa?"

Right now, it's pretty quiet. Besides the arrest of an internet blogger in China last week, things are pretty quiet on the Olympic front. It's the lull right after Christmas. I remember this happened in 1996, what with me getting calls every several days from department managers begging me to work in their areas. I had already made a commitment to the IBC, but it was a pleasure to help someone else out, as everyone was scrambling for good people (and some areas had volunteer shortages, our office being one of them.)

I wonder after it's all over, what will be the legacy? What will we remember most? Or will there be some last-minute surprise that takes us all by storm?

Let's all wait it out-and see what the future holds. We just might be surprising ourselves.