Monday, October 22, 2007

A Clean Team in 2008?

The IOC has "vowed" to send a so-called "clean team" to Beijing in 2008.

Don't count on that happening. From what I am hearing, it may be the biggest year for drug scandals and drug cheats in a long time. I personally am not hopeful.

We've heard this talk before. Heard the same talk right before the Atlanta Games. Talked to a buddy of mine that was working Doping Control and he had two words for me: "We're busy!"

Remember the five Bulgarian weightlifters who succesfully challenged their results from 1996 (and subsequently kept their medals.) Same talk...that this was going to be the cleanest Games ever, and look what it got us. Absolutely nothing.

Don't count on the Mainland Chinese to help us. They are too busy sending tainted products to the US. Wouldn't be surprised when 2008 rolls around if they try that strategy to taint our athletes (unknowingly, of course.)

I wish the USOC and IOC well in this fight. Hopefully, it will come to fruition.

But I will believe it when I see it.