Thursday, October 4, 2007

Marion Jones: What Happened?

I'm speechless.

Never in a million years did I think she was involved.

Now she stands to lose 5 medals she won in Sydney.

If you've seen the news today, there's a good chance you heard Marion Jones admit to using performance enhancing steriods and lying to a federal grand jury. She stands to get up to one year in jail on the charges stemming from the Feds.

In the 7 years since I have been commenting on various issues regarding the IOC and the Olympics, never did I hear anything that would implicate Marion even getting near doping. I heard plenty about the ex-husband. Marion was the last person I would have suspected of such a thing.

What should be her punishment? Certainly the Feds will have something to say and I am sure some kind of jail time is in her future. As to the medals, she should do the right thing and voluntarily surrender them to the IOC so they can be awarded to the second-place finisher in Marion's events.

I wonder how many other "squeaky clean" Olympic athletes are hiding deep dark doping demons from the world.

Why, Marion, why?