Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Not all doom and gloom

Regular readers of this blog know the IOC is getting hammered---pretty good. But it's not all doom and gloom. There ARE people there who are getting it right.

Giselle Davies for example.

She is the Communications Director and sure does have her hands full. I once told her she is my role model for objectionable situations. I've seen her deal with uppity press people with style and grace. I once told her that a nuclear bomb could go off at an IOC Session and she still would be the cool, calm and collected person she is.

Her previous experience was doing time with Formula One. Now there are major egos there without a doubt. I knew a guy that did F1 reporting for a number of years and I think those types gravitate to the testosterone-filled world of international auto racing since it is a glamorous scene. (As a side note, I don't understand the former F1 drivers jumping ship to NASCAR. What's with that?)

I am a classic Leo. I will be the first to admit I have a loud mouth. But since I have had the change to talk to her and observe her, I have given a think and said to myself "how would Giselle handle this situation?" Before I would just verbally mow you down and be done with it. Of course, I am no pushover---if someone is taking advantage of me (such as my writing being ripped off several weeks ago), I will speak up---and loudly.

I've seen her handle some very tough situations. And most important...she doesn't back off of the tough questions that have been tossed at her. Unlike some of her cohorts.

Perhaps they would best learn from her? I know I have, and I have been thankful and all the better for it.